In October of 2008, Act One: Training for Hollywood held a two-day symposium on storytelling.
The format — a presentation followed by a roundtable discussion with a group of panelists — was a great way to percolate and explore ideas. The panelists and presenters included:
- Dean Batali, Executive Producer, That 70’s Show, writer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Bobette Buster, Creative Executive and International Story Consultant
- Karen Hall, writer on several shows, including M*A*S*H, Judging Amy, Hill Street Blues, and Moonlighting
- Dr. Peter Kreeft, renowned philosopher and author of over 50 titles, including Socrates Meets Jesus
- Bill Marsilii, Screenwriter, Deja Vu
- David Mc Fadezean, Executive Producer, Home Improvement, What Women Want
- Barbara Nicolosi, Act One Founder, Screenwriter, VP Development, Origin Entertainment
- Chris Riley, Screenwriter and Author, The Hollywood Standard
- Chuck Slocum, Assistant Executive Director, Writer’s Guild of America
I helped to audio record the entire event. The first podcast is now available; it’s a presentation by Bobette Buster on “The Big Idea.” (Note: The slides that accompanied the presentation may be viewed here).